Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Other Shoe Dropped

After Wednesday's appointment I've been keeping a watch on my blood pressure with the help of our school nurse and my husband. (They both have been so great) My top number lowered and stayed around the 120s. My bottom number was generally 90 though. Josie has been moving up a storm and there has been no swelling in my hands or face, so I haven't been that concerned. Still, I was curious what the doctor would say.

Friday, after picking Sophie up from the baby sitter's, I headed back to the doctor's office. Sophie was once again excited to witness the check-up, and provided a lot of entertainment for the nurses and doctor (which is good since it was 5:00 and we were their last appointment). As my stats were being taken, Sophie kept telling the nurses, "Mommy get a check up!" Her cuteness didn't completely lower my blood pressure though, which came in at 130/90.

The doctor who I saw today is the one that will deliver Josie (he also delivered Sophie). After looking at my blood pressure (both the ones from his office and the ones I've been keeping track of), he told me they weren't ideal but nothing drastic needed to happen. We're just going to keep monitoring it. He has ordered some blood work to be done on Monday and told me that I would need to start non stress tests (NSTs) twice a week, also starting Monday. He also wants me to continue to have my bp checked at school and at home and to call him if it raises above 160/100.

I've mentioned a few times on here (and to people in person) that during this pregnancy I've been happy that nothing has gone wrong, but I've also been 'waiting for the other shoe to drop.' Things were going too well, especially compared to my other pregnancy. It was making me pretty anxious (waiting for something bad to happen is pretty stupid. I need to be more optimistic. People who've had issues with their pregnancies understand what I mean at least). Now that this blood pressure thing has come about, I feel that anxiety going away (maybe that is why my blood pressure is up!). I don't have to wait around for something to go wrong anymore. I am so thankful though that this isn't anything extreme and that I will be monitored closely to make sure nothing goes wrong. I am also thankful for the great group of doctors that I see for taking care of me and my baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment