Thursday, September 6, 2012

Boy or Girl? - Gender Prediction Time

In exactly one week, we will know if I am having a baby boy or a baby girl! I honestly do not have a preference on what I am having. Normally I roll my eyes when people say that, but this time it is true. It would be wonderful to have a boy. Joe is the only boy in his family, so we would like the family name to be passed down. Plus, it would be nice to have one of each child; I would get to experience the best of both worlds. Then again, I have a little girl already and I know what to expect from them. I absolutely love having a daughter! Plus, we have so many girls clothes that I loved and want to see again. (silly reason, I know) It would be great for Sophie to have a sister, but just a wonderful for her to have a brother. As long as my baby is healthy and will be born, I am a happy Momma.

Even though I don't have a preference on which gender I am hoping for, I still want to know what I am having. All along I have thought that this baby is a girl, though there have been a few days where I thought boy. Most of my friends think that I am having a boy. Joe thinks it is a girl. My mom is thinking boy. When I ask Sophie if she thinks I am having a boy or a girl, she just picks whatever one I say last.

Here are what some of the old wives' tales have to say about it all  (some are just too pointless or personal to answer, so I left them off):

Ring test -Hang your wedding ring (or a ring you wear a lot) on a hair or length of cotton, and get your OH to hang it over your bump. If it moves in circles it’s a girl, back and fourth and it’s a boy.
  •  It moved in a circle for me - GIRL        

Weight gain:
Not yours surprisingly!! The belief is that, if your husband puts on weight during your pregnancy, then you will be having a girl. If he doesn't put on a pound, then you're carrying a boy.
  • Last time Joe put on some weight with me, but this time he hasn't. - BOY
Heartbeat
If you're having a girl, then the fetal heart rate will be above 140. A boy will have a heart rate below 140.
  • It has been in the 150s and 160s - GIRL
Bump position
OK so might be to early to tell for most of us but Carrying High is supposed to mean a girl, Carrying Low and out front is a boy.
  • I think it is too soon to tell. My mom thinks I am carrying high. - GIRL
     
Veiny eyeball
Pull down the skin under your left eye and look at your eyeball (the white part). If you see a vein that looks like a V or branches, you will be having a girl.
  • yup - GIRL
Mayan
The Mayans determined the sex of the baby by taking the mother's age at conception, and the year of conception. If both are even or both are odd...it's a girl. If one is even and one odd it's a boy
  • I was 28 at conception and it was 2012 when the baby was conceived - GIRL
     
Ask the kids
Apparently if you take a poll of under 5s and ask whether you are having a boy or girl they scarily tend to get it right.
  •  My 3 year old niece says boy. My friend's 3 and 5 year old sons both said boy. - BOY
Shape of Belly
If you are carrying high with a big, round belly, you are having a girl. If you are carrying low with a smaller belly that sticks straight out, it’s a boy.
  • I think it is more big and round. Joe thinks it is smaller and sticking straight out. Someone else mentioned that to me yesterday, so two against one. - BOY 

Acne
If you have acne while pregnant, it’s a girl. It’s thought that acne during pregnancy is caused by the extra hormones.
  • I've had a few bigger zits here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. I haven't had as many zits this time as I did with Sophie though. - BOY  
     
Cravings
People believe that if you are craving salty foods while pregnant, you can count on having a boy. If you crave sweets, fruit, and orange juice, you are having a little girl.
  •  I don't have any huge cravings. For a week or so I just wanted pickles, and I've been snacking on pretzels a lot. I also have been eating a lot of chocolate and fruit. Then again, none of this is out of the ordinary for me. I guess if I had to choose, I would say I want more sweets. - GIRL
     
Moodiness and a Little Pecker (this one is odd, but funny)
If you are really moody, you are having a girl since you have another extra girl hormones in you. Your pregnancy will make you smile and be more happy if you are having a boy because there’s a little penis inside you.
  • Well, this is a strange one. I think more happy than annoyed this time - BOY 
Chinese Gender Chart
The Chinese Gender Chart claims to have an accuracy rate of over 90%. It is based on how old the mother is at conception and the month that she conceived.
  • GIRL 
Mom’s Beauty
Basically you are having a girl if your beauty disappears during pregnancy. It is said that the girl “steals” the mother’s beauty. If you think that pregnancy has never made you look more beautiful, a little boy it is.
  • I don't know. I've had people compliment that I look good, but then again not many people would tell you that you look like crap. I don't think I look as zombie-like as I did with Sophie, so I guess... - BOY
     
Dream of Sex of Baby
If you have dreams that you are having a boy, you will have a girl. If you dream about having a girl, it will be a boy. Dreams show the opposite of what you are having.
  •  I haven't really had any dreams this time. I had quite a few dreams about a girl with Sophie, even one where I said her full name, so I don't agree with this old wives' tale. - INCONCLUSIVE
 
Clumsy vs. Graceful
If the pregnant woman is graceful throughout her pregnancy, she’s having a girl. If she becomes clumsy, she’s having a boy.
  • I've been doing okay so far - GIRL
     
Side You Most Rest On
If a pregnant woman prefers to lay on her left side, she’s having a boy. If she prefers resting on her right side, she’s having a girl.
  • I've been laying on my left side because I know that is the best side to lay on. I don't really have a preference on sides anyway, as long as it is my side. - INCONCLUSIVE
     
What Do You Think?
71% of the time, the mom-to-be knows what she is having.
  • GIRL
Morning Sickness
If you had a smooth pregnancy with no morning sickness, it’s a boy. If you were sick or felt really nauseous during your pregnancy, count on a girl.
  • I've been really, really lucky. No morning sickness, minus some nausea- BOY
     
Protein
When a pregnant woman craves meat and cheese, count on a boy.
  • There have been some steak cravings and even a few cheese and cracker cravings. - BOY
     
Feet
Are your feet colder now that you are pregnant? If so, you just might be having a boy. If your feet have stayed the same before pregnancy and during, you’re having a little girl.
  • Same - GIRL
     
Headaches
If you are having headaches, you might be carrying a boy.
  • No headaches - GIRL
     
Baby Names
It is said that when you can only think of specific names for a boy or a girl, you will have that particularly baby.
  • I've been very adamant about my boy name (I've loved it for years). I had two girl names that I really liked, so I left that decision up to Joe. - BOY
     
Even/odd testIf your birth year and your age are both even numbers or both odd numbers then you are going to give birth to a girl. If one is odd, the other even, a boy is on the way
  •  Born in 1983 and I am 28 - BOY
 
Previous Kids
This tale only applies if you have had previous kids. If you have and that child’s first word was momma, you will have a girl. If your first child’s first word was dadda, you’ll have a boy. 
  • Sophie's first word was Momma - GIRL

Baby Kicks
If the baby kicks on the right side of your tummy, it's a boy, If the baby kicks on the left side of your tummy, it's going to be a girl.
  • I feel more kicks on my left side - GIRL
Hairline
If this is your second child, look at the back of the neck of your first born. Does the hairline across the back of the neck go straight across, or come to a point? If the hairline goes straight across, your baby will be the same gender that your first born is. If the hairline goes to a point, your baby will be the opposite gender of what your firstborn is.
This website discusses how your previous child's hairline can predict gender. It seemed to work for her. The problem for me is getting to see Sophie's hairline. Every time I try to pull up her hair so I can see, she says, "Top it!" (her way of saying stop it) in a really annoyed voice while batting my hand away. Joe and I think that it is a little pointed, but when looking at this lady's site, her hair seems to resemble 'Zander's' more, which would be straight. Maybe I will attempt a pony tail for Sophie so I can see the hairline better. Until then - GIRL
 
 
GIRL IS THE WINNER!
 
Obviously you have to take these old wives' tales with a grain of salt. Besides, different websites and different people mix up what is supposed to be a boy and what is supposed to be a girl on these things. Such as the ring test...some websites says that a circle is a girl, while others say a boy. At least it was a little fun to go through all of these predictors.

24 comments:

  1. Mine is totally opposite.😆😆😆😆😆

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine head is at left side and baby kicks at right side whats the gender

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol jst hope what u are telling us is true thn my baby will definitely be a boy 😚

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope it will be a boy cause mostly according to what I have read here it will be a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have both left and right kicks.. I crave for salty food. Had two girls already

    ReplyDelete
  6. My baby kicks on right side.. Plus tell gender

    ReplyDelete
  7. So ,u have boy or a girl? (second child )

    ReplyDelete
  8. More kicks on my right,I think is a boy

    ReplyDelete
  9. my baby kicks on right side...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My baby is really down .baby is on right side .i have lot of acne.no cravings foe salty neither sweet things.can sleep on left side but can't on right.no cravings foe meat.first child is a boy.now what
    Reply

    ReplyDelete
  11. My wife always get angry to me which child is she gonna give birth to?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really don't know mmmmm k is cool, staying positive

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice 👍 but tell me what u had delivered baby boy or baby girl???

    ReplyDelete