Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Results Are In

Monday I went in for my 3 hour glucose test. By 7:30 AM I had registered, had my first blood draw done and was drinking my orange breakfast.

I wasn't feeling that great during the first hour. You only have 5 minutes to drink the glucose drink and then it just kind of sits there. I tried washing it down with water, but that wasn't too helpful. I was a little nervous that I might puke it up right away. I kept drinking water, but finally decided to get up and walk around. I found a hallway nearby during my one hour glucose test that was pretty perfect for pacing around. There were no patient rooms, only random work rooms, so it was mostly empty. Randomly someone with a cart of laundry or other supplies would come through, but that was about it. I put on my headphones (as suggested by one of my friends) and walked around for 15 minutes. Afterwards I had just enough time to use the restroom before I had to have my blood drawn for the second time.

After my second blood draw, I was excited to find out that I didn't have to drink anymore of the glucose drink. I could have sworn that I needed to drink some after each hour of the test, but thankfully my memory was off. That made me feel a lot better. I drank some more water and took off for some more pacing in the hallways. I was asked twice if I was lost by random hospital workers. Ha! After 20 minutes of walking I decided that I should be productive and grade some papers that I brought with me. Before I knew it, it was time for blood draw number three. I didn't puke this time! Josie and I make a good team, I tell you.

I spent my last hour of my test grading papers, pacing the hallways (getting asked once again if I was lost), praying, and drinking water. Time was up before I knew it. The last blood draw came and went (this one more painful than the others - my arm still hurts a little from it), and I finally was able to get some real food. I had to be at school right away, so I wolfed down my lunch on the drive there. After that I made it through the rest of the school day and three hours of conferences after school. I was exhausted when I finally made it home (a little after 7:30 PM), but thankful that I made it through the day.

While I was getting ready for school today, one of my friends sent me a text saying that she hoped I received good news with my glucose test. She told me that she was able to get her results the very next day, so I might be able to get mine today. I was torn - do I call the doctor's office or not? I was really afraid of the results. Part of me wanted to go ahead and get it over with, but the other part of me wanted just one more day of being 'normal,' just in case the results showed I had GD. We had a field trip today though, and on the bus ride back I just couldn't contain myself. I needed to know. I called the doctor's office and the nurse told me that I had passed each round of the test. No gestational diabetes for me! I was so happy I could have cried.

I am so thankful that God decided not to give me GD. I am even happy that he chose for me to go through this testing. It really made me stop to think about some of those bad choices I was making during this pregnancy (like fast food, daily doses of Sprite and a lack of exercise), and what I needed to do to help keep Josie safe. I'm not saying that I have completely cut out fast food (I had McDonald's after my test yesterday) or that I am going to start a big exercise routine. I am going to start making some smaller changes though during these last 10 weeks. Maybe that was the whole point of this situation. That God, he is a smart one. Plus, more experience with needles will hopefully make me less of a pansy when it comes to getting my IV put in and my epidural when I go to have Josie. I shudder every time I think about having to have those things done.

To quote one of Sophie's favorite books, "Thank you, God, for loving me."

No comments:

Post a Comment